Chicken Fried Vogue

For 15 years and most of her adult life, Bubblez lived in the suburbs of a major metropolitan city. She enjoyed taking her children to museums, parks, and dates at Starbucks. Then Bubblez moved to the country and her En Vogue attitude got chicken fried. Her yard is a park where the neighbor's rooster won't stop crowing, Starbucks is almost an hour away, and her large collection of fancy shoes is worthless. But, living in the acres of green has presented more opportunities for living "green" as Bubblez travels the path toward self-sufficiency (and bitches ((and prays)) along the way).

Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday, the Day of New

I really like to try starting new habits on Monday. I guess I feel it's easier to keep track of what I'm doing that way. Given that half the time I don't know what day of the week it actually is, my logic is faulty. Anyhow, I started today.

So, I woke up this morning and layed in bed for a few minutes like I always do, sort of wishing the day didn't have to start. After a while, I got up and.... ok, side note: my youngest child and my husband are playing the repeat game right now, and they're doing it RIGHT NEXT TO ME, and it's very distracting. Ok, anyway, I always keep a water glass next to the bed, so, once I managed to set my feet on the floor, I grabbed the glass and drained it. Everyone says a body needs lots of water, right? The next thing I did was grab my iphone and check my Facebook messages. This is pretty much a daily routine for me. Once I got through that, I decided it was time to grab that book I mentioned yesterday and glance through it, again. I knew there was some "rule" about when to eat and exercise in the morning. The rule is: exercise immediately and eat within the first hour of waking. The book (8 Minutes In The Morning: Real Shapes, Real Sizes by Jorge Cruise) has a list of simple (WAY simple) exercises to do each day. I did them while sitting on the side of my bed in my pj's.

Next was the unhappy part of starting a body change: the weigh-in. I debated over whether or not to share this information with you and figured, wth. So,  here it is, the big number: 211.5. The program in my book is a 28 day program designed to help you develop better habits. In the past, I have done the initial weigh-in and then refused to look at the scale until the end of the 28 days. For me, it's more motivating that way, but for anyone who is trying to change their weight, checking once a week is plenty. Any more often than that, and you might not get a dependable reflection of long term change.

Breakfast time. Man, I love food. I mean I really love food. I love cooking and creating food, and I believe that people are meant to enjoy what they eat. From my perspective, eating well, not only means eating what's good for you and in proper portion sizes, it also means eating stuff that tastes really great. Here's a wonderful strategy to keep in mind: if it isn't absolutely delicious or plain ole healthy, don't eat it. Another thing I learned when I previously did the program: bite 5 doesn't taste as good as bite 1. Anyway, today I ate 1 egg, 1 thin slice of turkey, and a small bit of Swiss cheese on an English muffin. The book says to have fruit for breakfast, too, but I'm too lazy, and it never sounds good at that time of day.

Oh, the book's portion rule! I love this. Half a plate of fruit or veggies, a quarter plate of protien, a quarter plate of carbs, a tablespoon of fat. Then you have a 100 calorie snack in between each meal, and a small dessert like a Reese Cup each night after dinner.

I drank another glass of water, and then poured my first cup of coffee which tasted really really yummy today, but it made me want chocolate, which kinda sucked. After a couple of hours I ate one of those Caramel Delight yogurts. I think Yoplait makes them. And a couple of hours after that, I made myself a salad for lunch: Romaine lettuce, a boiled egg, a thin slice of turkey cut up, a little Colby cheese, and some Ranch dressing. That got washed down with more water.

So far so good, right? Yeah, except that I have been beyond cranky today, and with each passing moment it's been getting worse. I'm not hungry, so that's not the problem. I think it's whore-moans. I have a feeling that those are going to be a problem throughout our adventure, here. I finally caved and ate 2 pieces of Dove chocolate for my afternoon snack. Soon after eating that, I broke a water glass.

I was supposed to try making lobster for supper tonight, but I was too frustrated with the way my day was going. The dog followed me around the house all day, whining, and the kids seemed like they were constantly fighting or being difficult in one way or another. Also, my house project wasn't going the way I hoped it would. I made spaghetti and garlic bread. I've learned that I can totally do without the pasta, but I enjoy the garlic bread too much to pass up, so I had some meat sauce with a slice of bread, and some lettuce with Ranch dressing.

The plan all day today was to have a shot of Crown Royal for dessert, but after supper I was sleepy and craving pastry like nobody's business. I ended up making some more coffee and eating a piece of caramel. I haven't got any pastry. Tomorrow, I might bake a pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment