Chicken Fried Vogue

For 15 years and most of her adult life, Bubblez lived in the suburbs of a major metropolitan city. She enjoyed taking her children to museums, parks, and dates at Starbucks. Then Bubblez moved to the country and her En Vogue attitude got chicken fried. Her yard is a park where the neighbor's rooster won't stop crowing, Starbucks is almost an hour away, and her large collection of fancy shoes is worthless. But, living in the acres of green has presented more opportunities for living "green" as Bubblez travels the path toward self-sufficiency (and bitches ((and prays)) along the way).

Monday, September 10, 2012

Mary, Martha, and Me

The Lord and his disciples were traveling along and came to a village. When they got there, a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat down in front of the Lord and was listening to what he said. Martha was worried about all that had to be done. Finally, she went to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn't it bother you that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to come and help me!”
The Lord answered, “Martha, Martha! You are worried and upset about so many things, but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen what is best, and it will not be taken away from her.” (LUKE 10:38-42 CEV)

Marsha! Marsha! Marsha! Haha. I couldn't help myself.

I'm sharing this because I finally get the story. You know we got this new house. I have been working my tail off trying to make it look nice while taking care of everyone at the same time. I've been cooking, though not up to par. I've been cleaning. I've been decorating. I don't even know what all I've been doing because when I look around, it doesn't seem to amount to much. I've definitely been freaking out and irritable and cranky and down right pissy when I don't feel like anyone else is working as hard as me. So, yeah, Martha and I have been like two peas in a pod, lately.

In fact, if I were with Martha that day, with the super important company visiting, and all, I sure wouldn't have left her to do all the work by herself. I would have been hanging out right beside her while our buddy, Jesus, took a nap or watched TV or something. And Mary would have pissed. Me. Off.

I hate when people drop by unannounced and the house is a mess, or when they come at dinner time and I wasn't prepared to feed them. I've been one of those people who had to be told by a guest to sit down.

But like I kind of mentioned up there. I really never feel like I have anything to show for it, except a family who is sad that I'm not spending time with them and a million tiny worries.

Any doctor will tell you that stress and worry are bad for you. Why is it so hard to recognize what my priorities ought to be? I know that when I spend time with God, I have peace. I am happier, the people around me are happier, and the things I do seem to have worth.

The peace God gives me, that everything is being taken care of for our good, frees my spirit to rejoice in the little things. It also puts my focus where it belongs, not on how clean the floors are, but on how happy my family is; how loved they feel.

I need to be more Mary and less Martha.

Mary understood that relationships matter so much more than anything else, and she understood that Jesus, in particular, had something very special to offer, you know, being GOD and all.

In fact, it was pretty cool of him to not tear Martha a new one right then and there. "Don't you know who I am?!" or better yet, "I'm kind of a big deal. I have many leather bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany." Lol.

For real though, I guess Martha just didn't get it, and Jesus knew that and chose to share the same love and generosity of spirit with her that he wants us to share with each other.

Jesus was the guest who said, "I didn't come to see your house. I came to see you. Sit down."

Mary has chosen what is best, and it will not be taken from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment