Chicken Fried Vogue

For 15 years and most of her adult life, Bubblez lived in the suburbs of a major metropolitan city. She enjoyed taking her children to museums, parks, and dates at Starbucks. Then Bubblez moved to the country and her En Vogue attitude got chicken fried. Her yard is a park where the neighbor's rooster won't stop crowing, Starbucks is almost an hour away, and her large collection of fancy shoes is worthless. But, living in the acres of green has presented more opportunities for living "green" as Bubblez travels the path toward self-sufficiency (and bitches ((and prays)) along the way).

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Should I Wear Make-Up To Church?

When I was growing up, my parents really weren't church goers. On the occasions when I did find myself sitting in a Sunday service, I was put into a dress first, becaaaauuuuse... we dress up for church.

Living city fried, the church we attended had a dress code that was fairly relaxed. Think casual Friday, but on Sunday. It wasn't at all unusual to see blue jean wearing bodies filling up the pews. But me, I still dressed up. It was just a part of who I was and my way of showing respect.

Now before I go any further with this, I want to mention that God does not care one iota about how you're dressed or what you look like when you come a knockin' on His door. This blog is not about church etiquette. This blog is about me.

I attended a "wealthy" church, meaning the congregation was more affluent (as opposed to less). The congregation contained a large number of business owners and executives. It was the nature of our burb: full of people who sat a little higher on the economic ladder and didn't have a problem showing it.

They weren't even showing off. Usually, they were really good natured, down to earth, peeps. They were just good natured, down to earth peeps with disposable income and a plethora of retail outlets clustered around every stop light. Needless to say, blue jeans or otherwise, these people looked good, and even though we weren't as wealthy as all that, I looked good, too.

Now, I've never been a girl who can't step outside without her make-up. I wish I were because then I could justify why, out of the six drawers in our bathroom lavatory, one is Sheldon's, and five are mine. I guess I just like to be prepared.

To get to the point, I wore make-up to church in Suburbia. Always. Even if the weather was particularly cold and I defiantly wore jeans, my face was properly painted; modest yet elegant.

I think Country Song has been bad for my complexion. That's my way of saying I've gotten lazy. Most of my days are spent in cut-off denim and old t-shirts. I still pull a dress on for Sunday, but it's pretty much always the same one. The dress comes out of the closet. The dress goes to church. The dress comes home. The dress gets put away and replaced with cut-off denim and an old t-shirt.

My make-up is quietly lying in the drawer, hoping that some day I will love it enough so that it will become a real face, sort of like what happened to Pinocchio and The Velveteen Rabbit.

Don't get me started on the shoes. You would cry.

So, I've been contemplating. Should I wear make-up to church? Hadn't I ought to take at least one day a week to give a shit about how I look? I'm tired of looking like a slob, but my inner fashion Jedi has yet to discern a way of bringing balance to the force.

It doesn't behoove me (*snicker* behoove) to wear heals or wedges on these darned gravel roads, driveways, parking lots, but you'd think I could muster a little freaking make-up. Right? Am I right?

Let me know what you think. You might just be the droids, I mean Yoda, the Yoda I've been looking for.

Hep meh!

4 comments:

  1. Bublbez, I am a makeup kind of girl myself....I bet you look sweet with a little liner and blush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liner maybe. I'm too ruddy for blush, IMO. I really think it's just plain laziness on my part.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love what you are doing here. I suspect we blog from the same place in the heart.
    I don't know if you will care to play a long with this, but, I gave you a Liebster Award. (I'll publish the post just after noon.) I suspect it some sort of cyber-hazing, but, all the other kids are doing it...
    It's a good way to get a few more people to read your fantastic stuff here. I really do love it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will there be a keg?

      Seriously, thank you!

      Delete