Chicken Fried Vogue

For 15 years and most of her adult life, Bubblez lived in the suburbs of a major metropolitan city. She enjoyed taking her children to museums, parks, and dates at Starbucks. Then Bubblez moved to the country and her En Vogue attitude got chicken fried. Her yard is a park where the neighbor's rooster won't stop crowing, Starbucks is almost an hour away, and her large collection of fancy shoes is worthless. But, living in the acres of green has presented more opportunities for living "green" as Bubblez travels the path toward self-sufficiency (and bitches ((and prays)) along the way).

Monday, November 12, 2012

Dear Bedroom Walls

Dear Bedroom Walls,

I understand what it feels like to have been neglected. I know the sadness of having wrinkles and cracks develop in your face and have no one bother to help relieve the stress that caused them. I want you to know that I am here, now, and I've come to help you. I do require some patience on your part, however. There are so many other objects, both animate and inanimate, which are vying for my attention. I'm afraid you need quite a lot of work, my dears. It's going to take time.

It's my understanding that your former owners were kind people. I guess they just weren't the sort who give proper attention to details, and as a result, your beauty has faded, but together we will restore your former loveliness and make you beautiful once again. As I scrape away layers of wallpaper, some which were probably once quite flattering on you before becoming old and faded, and others that are cheap and gaudy, I curse the people who made you this way. I know that time can wreak havoc on the best of houses, but it is clear to me that your plaster was neglected for such a very, very long time, and the cracks and holes were simply covered over to be out of sight and out of mind. The rug, downstairs, has seen similar abuses. It's not just you.

Sometimes, I fear that I do not have the skills necessary to help you feel whole, again. I bought some spackle and some tape, and I've been watching old Bob Vila tutorials on YouTube in an effort to help us fix this. I dream of the day when I can run my hand over the cool smooth surface of your face and dress you in a beautiful coat of fresh blue paint. Oh, what a glorious day that will be!

Here's to the future, my darlings.

With respect,
                          Your new owner <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment