Chicken Fried Vogue

For 15 years and most of her adult life, Bubblez lived in the suburbs of a major metropolitan city. She enjoyed taking her children to museums, parks, and dates at Starbucks. Then Bubblez moved to the country and her En Vogue attitude got chicken fried. Her yard is a park where the neighbor's rooster won't stop crowing, Starbucks is almost an hour away, and her large collection of fancy shoes is worthless. But, living in the acres of green has presented more opportunities for living "green" as Bubblez travels the path toward self-sufficiency (and bitches ((and prays)) along the way).

Monday, January 21, 2013

Late Winter To-Do: The Birthday Party

There really aren't very many activities on the late winter to-do list. I'm planning to tap maple trees this spring, so I've been acquiring supplies for that, now. Otherwise, January has been spent preparing for Moo's birthday. Not one of my favorite things. I've never been much of a birthday person, and I'm especially not fond of supplying entertainment for a bunch of snot nosed kids. But, I'm doing it because I want to make the boy happy.

The theme is "fire" because "fire's cool." Thank you. It's going to be held on a Saturday evening over the dinner hour and just past dusk so that we can have fireworks. Yes. As a matter of fact, I do rock. We'll also have a bonfire in the back yard for roasting hot dogs and s'mores if the kids don't mind doing it in the cold temperature. I figure, I can always light the grill if needed. And for dessert (with 2 esses because you always want more), flaming Baked Alaska! Boom!

Here's where things get tricky. $$$

I really want to have a pinata. I'll make one that looks like a fireball out of a balloon, paper mache, and tissue, but what of the fillers? Moo will be 10 so junkie plastic rings and the like are out. I have a nice list of ideas, but the stuff really adds up quickly, so I'll have to handle that prudently. I also wanted to have a scavenger hunt, but for real, I don't know that I can afford both.

Whose stupid idea was it that birthday guests get presents, anyway?

Otherwise, I'm planning some kind of Pin-The-Tail On The Donkey game. Not sure how to make that fire related without freaking out the kiddos. Same goes for Musical Chairs... well, I guess fire related music, huh? Oh snap! We should play Hot Potato.

Ok, well, I'll let you know how it goes... maybe. Hopefully, I'll remember to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment